Lower belly fat is sometimes referred to as “FUPA” which stands for Fat Upper Pubic Area. Essentially, it refers to the fat that is located above your pubic area and below your belly button, also known as lower belly fat.
We all know that if you want to get rid of belly fat, you need to make sure your diet is on point and ensure that you are in a caloric deficit. This can be created by consuming fewer calories than you burn or working out more, preferably adding in cardio.
FUPA is common in both men and women. Oftentimes, you’ll hear women complain about FUPA, especially post-pregnancy. Women store excess fat in this area in order to prepare the body for pregnancy as well as because of hormones, genetics, and age. FUPA can also be caused by stress, rapid weight loss, and poor diet.
Remember that you cannot lose fat from a specific area of your body, also called “spot reduction”. However, exercise specific muscle groups will tone and firm those muscle groups.
Integrating these exercises with a caloric deficit can help you strengthen this stubborn area.
1) Place your forearms on the floor with your elbows beneath your shoulders. You can keep your palms flat on the floor or clasp them together.
2) Dig your toes into the ground and lift your body off the floor.
3) Be sure to keep your back straight and your abs tight as you hold this position for 60 seconds!
1. Lie down on the ground with your lower back pressed onto the floor.
2. Place your hands behind your head so that your shoulders are off the mat.
3. Lift one leg off the ground and extend it out by lying on the ground, with your lower back pressed flat into the floor and your head and shoulders raised slightly above it.
4. Straighten your right leg and bring the left leg in towards your right knee. Switch sides and continue this motion.
- Lie on your back with your head on the ground.
- Bring your knees to a 90 degree bent position and your hands pointing straight upwards.
- Keeping your core engaged and your lower back flat against the ground, slowly extend one leg out straight.
- Pause for a moment and then return to the starting position.
- Keep alternating legs and repeat!
- Begin by lying face down on your stomach with arms and legs outstretched slightly wider than shoulder width apart, forehead on the mat.
- Slowly lift arms, legs, upper back, and head off the floor. Keep your head in neutral position.
- Hold this position for 5 seconds and slowly lower back down.
Explosive Jump Squats
- Begin by standing with your feet hip-width apart.
- Perform as you would with a normal bodyweight squat, chest upright and knees out.
- As soon as you reach below parallel, push up from your heels and jump up as high as you can. Land back softly on your feet and repeat.
1) Lie on your back with your hands by your sides.
2) Contract your abs and lift your legs six inches off the ground and hold in this position. Be sure to keep your lower back in contact with the floor at all times!
Other Lifestyle Factors
Beyond just lower ab exercises, there are other lifestyle changes you can implement which will help you lose weight and achieve a tight core. Here are a few:
- Integrate Cardio
Cardio is a tool that can help you burn more calories which can be useful when you want to lose weight. Examples include walking, running, cycling and swimming.
- Destress with Yoga
Given that stress has been linked to weight gain, managing it is very important. A number of studies have shown that yoga can reduce stress and anxiety as well as elevate one’s mood.
- Sleep Well
Getting quality sleep is also very important as poor sleep has been shown to increase cortisol levels, a stress hormone that also boosts your appetite.
- Eat Healthily
Eating the right foods may help with losing fat overall. Avoid foods that are highly processed and contain added refined sugars. Instead, focus on eating whole foods, such as vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and adequate protein.
It is impossible to spot and reduce fat. When you lose weight, it will impact all areas of your body. However, tightening your lower ab muscles with these exercises and implementing lifestyle changes will all help in reducing fat overall and thereby trimming your waistline.
This Anabolic Aliens membership will grant you access to workout classes, rehab programs, diet plans, and more exclusive content to help you achieve sustainable success!
This blog was written by Yara Mersi